Friday, October 2, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. As a child and a teenager I was interested in eating a variety of dishes, but was never interested in learning what went into them or how they were cooked. Since I was from a typical South Indian Brahmin family, we had completely a vegetarian meals, no meat, no fish, no garlic and on religious occasions not even onions.

My mother and maternal grandmother were great culinary experts. No they did not learn or educated themselves in some fashionable culinary institutions. They learned it from their mothers and grandmothers, the recipes handed down over the generations and of course traded recipes with their friends. But they were devoted to their families, had complete interest in what they were doing, even every day simple cooking.

After I joined college, my group of friends consisted of girls from various regions of India. This is when my taste buds for the first were exposed to the beautiful and varied cuisines of other regions of India. Every day we used share our lunch boxes and I used to play this little game of guessing the ingredients that went into the various dishes. My accuracy was nearly 95% surprisingly for a person who could not even boil water.

My friends were being trained in all the skills a home maker should possess as is a tradition in India and were fairly good cooks. So I started learning the recipes from them, as by then I was hooked properly. I used to try them out on week ends and experiment on my friends and family. First I tried the recipe as it was. Then as I gained confidence I started experimenting and creating new ones. With in an year I was a big hit with my family and friends.

Till today my favorite hobby is trying out all the new dishes that I come across at least once and if I like them I guess the ingredients and cook them till I succeed. I have collected  a number of recipes from various cuisines; Oriental, Chinese, Thai, French, Continental and as well as from India like Tandori, Mughalai, Gujarathi, Rajasthani, Andhra, Hyderabadi, Chettinad and others.

Many a time I have helped my friends by sharing the recipes they wanted. They are the ones who have motivated me to start this blog since they keep reminding me that "Knowledge shared is Knowledge multiplied". I will also be learning more from you by sharing. So keep watching my blog.....

No comments:

Post a Comment