Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Beautiful Film on bloging


When ever I am away on my work, I don't get much sleep in new surroundings. I have lots of free time in the evenings and night. I am used to a very hectic schedule most of the time and some times having nothing to do is really depressive. Any way I do try out some embroidery, or creating new designs for embroidery and Rangolis, or read a book. 

I end up listening to the TV. Having it on is like having someone in my room and this continues till I doze off. Mostly I prefer music or programs on travel or on discovery, animal planet etc. But at times it is really difficult to find something worth viewing.

One of those times I was flicking through the channels and settled rather frustratedly to watch a movie. That movie turned out to be very interesting and I just kept on following it till the last.

It was a film on bloging. The film was "Julie and Julia". It is a contrast between two women from different times- both interested in cooking. The first one is Julia Child a Chef very much devoted to cooking and her life in Paris during 1950s. She joins Le Cordon Bleu   to learn the French Cooking. She masters it with much enthusiasm and  then wants to write a cook book in English fo American house wives. It shows how she struggles to translate from French to English, how she experiments and masters each recipe or course  and how she struggles to bring the first volume of the  book in 1960s and second one in 1970s.  She becomes very popular with  TV shows. Her books become one of the most popular ones.

Much later  in 2002, Julie Powell, a young writer, living in New York and doing a job which she doesn't like wants to cook all the 500 and recipes of Julia Child's Book in an year. She describes her trials and tribunals, successes and failures with her project on her blog. She becomes so obsessive about her project and also her blog. She craves for the readers, responses, their appreciations and this leads to a lot of stress. Her husband is very supportive, he keeps on motivating her and tells her she should enjoy her project and bloging and should not get stressed out because of that. But in the end, unable to cope up with her obsession he leaves her. Oh he comes back after a short while. Her blog is written about in The New York Times and other media follow her. She too becomes popular.

I loved every minute of the film. I found so many similarities to what I feel and what I go through with my cooking and especially my bloging...:). Like Julie Powell I too became obsessive with my blog at one time and also wanted appreciation of the readers and following. I became more stressed out as I have to balance my home and my work-both very hectic and lots of responsibilities. Then I took time out and thought out it all. after all I was bloging for fun, to share my knowledge with others, enjoy it to forget stress of home and work places. Then I found my peace. Many a time the most talented also don't get recognition so easily or sometimes not at all no matter how they struggle. So I could perfectly understand Julie's feelings and empathise with her. 

Just watch the movie-so beautifully made. I loved the 1950, their living, how they cooked how they shopped for the ingredients. Wow! Just watch it and let me know...:)

2 comments:

  1. I would like to watch this movie. But just like you I am really busy with job and home life. I read your blog from time to time and enjoy your articles on your culture and food. I haven't been blogging because my computer was broken , it is in getting fixed right now, so I am using my husbands computer. I will be getting my computer back soon and I will share some of the pictures I took recently of our day outing to a large rain forest park. Right now I am sewing a teddy bear from real fur as a gift for my sister in law. Take care, think positive good thoughts about yourself, laugh and sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You dear. I am following your blog now. I am looking forward to your posts. Oh you are lucky to visit a rain forest.Do post your teddy bear too. I have yet to try soft toys.
    Thanks a lot for such kind words. We may be strangers and living so far in different countries, but you have proved that in our hearts lie love and compassion for others.
    Take care ....:)

    ReplyDelete